Our Hospital History
Since 1872, St. Mark's Hospital has been growing and adapting to fit the needs of the community it serves. Now, over 130 years later, St. Mark's continues to fulfill it's "Not Bigger. Just Better." promise.
St. Mark's Hospital Timeline
- 1872 – Bishop Daniel S. Tuttle saw the need for a hospital. He raised the funds with help from local businessmen and purchased the necessary supplies to start a hospital. The name that was decided upon was St. Mark's.
- 1879 – The first building, a small adobe building with six beds, needed to be replaced by a larger building. The new, brick structure had doubled the original hospital's capacity to 12 beds.
- 1893 – St. Mark's again outgrew the existing space, so the hospital was relocated to a new building on 803 N. 200 W. The new building had 35 beds.
- 1894 – The St. Mark's School of Nursing was opened. It was the first nursing school in the Intermountain region.
- 1925 – St. Mark's opened the Shriners Crippled Children's Ward, and it continued to be a part of the hospital for 26 years.
- 1970 – Construction began on the current St. Mark's Hospital.
- 1973 – Construction was completed, and the new St. Mark's Hospital opened. Patients were transferred, by ambulance, to the new hospital every five minutes.
- 1991 – The St. Mark's Women's Health Center created the Center for Breast Care.
- 2002 – St. Mark's Hospital celebrated its 130th birthday.
- 2012 – St. Mark's Hospital celebrates its 140th birthday.
Today – St. Mark's continues to expand and adapt to fill the needs of the community.