April 10, 2023
Salt Lake City, UT – Utah health system MountainStar Healthcare announced a new “Caregivers of Tomorrow” scholarship program aimed at developing the next generation of healthcare talent in the Beehive State.
As MountainStar Healthcare continues to grow its Utah network amid the current healthcare workforce landscape, it anticipates a need for more people in key clinical roles. To help nurture the pipeline for those roles, MountainStar and its parent organization, HCA Healthcare, have pledged more than $600,000 to support healthcare colleagues in Utah who are enrolled in select higher education programs.
“We’re excited to help more passionate people launch rewarding careers as caregivers,” said Jen Wagenaar, chief nursing executive for MountainStar Healthcare. “This significant investment in our local healthcare workforce will also help us meet the healthcare needs in one of the fastest growing states in the nation."
Caregivers of Tomorrow scholarships are available to current and new employees across MountainStar Healthcare’s eight Utah hospitals and more than 60 total care sites. Existing colleagues can learn more about participating institutions and application deadlines by visiting Caregivers Of Tomorrow website. Individuals outside the organization can view open positions at the MountainStar Careers website, and will be eligible for scholarship consideration after they secure a position.
MountainStar Healthcare and HCA Healthcare currently employ more than 6,000 colleagues in their Utah care network that serves roughly one million annual patient interactions. HCA Healthcare is one of the nation’s leading providers of healthcare services, with 182 hospitals and more than 2,300 total sites of care in 20 states and the United Kingdom.
“I’m proud to be part of a family of more than 283,000 colleagues who are committed to serving our patients, our communities and each other,” Wagenaar said. “For any fellow Utahns who have been considering a healthcare career, this is a great opportunity to begin your journey with a great organization and receive assistance with your educational goals in the process.”
Leaders at MountainStar Healthcare say this scholarship program is just the latest way they are addressing workforce challenges and developing healthcare talent:
- As part of HCA Healthcare, MountainStar offers tuition assistance, student loan repayment assistance, and discounts at a number of higher education institutions, including the HCA Healthcare-owned Galen College of Nursing.
- Two HCA Healthcare Centers for Clinical Advancement have opened in Utah, with state-of-the-art training technology to enhance ongoing clinical education.
- MountainStar’s clinical leadership worked with public officials in Utah on healthcare workforce initiatives, education appropriation and models of care.
- The network recently adjusted compensation ranges for registered nurses and other clinical positions in Utah.
- Other academic partnerships provide hundreds of clinicians a way to complete their education and practice requirements at MountainStar facilities.