July 29, 2019
North Logan, UT — Cache Valley Hospital is excited to now be offering Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exams, developed by Hologic, Inc. This means better detection of invasive breast cancers compared to traditional 2D Mammography.
"At Cache Valley Hospital, we are committed to the fight against breast cancer," said Daren Wells, CEO of Cache Valley Hospital. "In offering the 3D Mammography service, we're providing an option for the most accurate tool for breast cancer screening and first to offer 3D biopsy capability in Cache Valley."
In conventional 2D Mammography, overlapping tissue is a leading reason why small breast cancers may be missed. A 3D Mammography exam includes both 2D images and tomosynthesis scans--a 3D picture of the breast using an x-ray. During the exam, an x-ray arm sweeps in a slight arc over the breast, taking multiple images. A computer then converts the images into a stack of thin layers, allowing the radiologist to more accurately review the breast tissue one layer at a time.
Notable benefits of 3D Mammography include:
- 20-65 percent more invasive breast cancers found compared to 2D alone, an average increase of 41 percent
- The only exam that is FDA approved as superior for women with dense breasts compared to 2D alone
- Reduction of callbacks by up to 40 percent compared to 2D alone
In addition to bringing the industry standard of mammography to North Logan, Cache Valley Hospital is the only location in the valley that has an upright 3D biopsy system option. "Instead of laying facedown to receive a breast biopsy, patients now have a more comfortable option of sitting upright during that procedure." said Jill Rosier, mammography tech at Cache Valley Hospital.
Notable benefits of 3D Biopsy include:
- Pinpoint subtle lesions and faint calcifications
- Allows us to easily target challenging lesions, including those visible only in 3D slices
- Streamline procedure steps and speed targeting, resulting in improved workflow and shorter patient procedure time
- Reduces patient dose as fewer exposures are required
A 3D Mammography exam requires no additional compression than a conventional 2D breast cancer screening exam.
Same day and evening appointments are available, as well as walk in appointments Tuesday-Thursday 9am-4pm at Cache Valley Hospital. Those interested in scheduling a 3D Mammography exam can do so by calling (435) 713-9777.