High-risk pregnancy doctors across the Wasatch Front
When you need high-risk pregnancy services, the specialists at MountainStar Healthcare's hospitals deliver personalized care. Our high-risk pregnancy doctors—also called perinatologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists or high-risk OBGYNs—are prepared to assist you at every step of your pregnancy journey. They offer a wide array of diagnostic tests and services to help you and your baby stay healthy.
For more information about our women's services and to find a physician or midwife, please call: (801) 715-4185.
Comprehensive high-risk pregnancy care
Our perinatologists specialize in high-risk prenatal care. Our goal is to provide you with honest, clear information about your pregnancy that empowers you medically and emotionally. We will explain any risk factors and treatment options so you are well-informed throughout your pregnancy.
Our high-risk pregnancy specialists partner with you and your provider throughout your pregnancy as well as labor and delivery. This is to ensure a safe, healthy delivery for both you and your baby. If your baby needs a little extra monitoring after birth, our hospitals also provide neonatal intensive care units (NICUs). These units are staffed with neonatologists and neonatal nurses highly trained to care for premature and ill babies.
Our high-risk pregnancy services
Our comprehensive services are personalized to meet the unique qualities of your pregnancy. Some of those services include:
- Antenatal testing
- Detailed ultrasounds
- Fetal therapy, such as blood transfusions and fetal surgical procedures
- First trimester nuchal translucency screening
- Genetic screening
- Preconception counseling
- Prenatal diagnostic services, such as amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling
- Regular obstetric ultrasounds
High-risk pregnancy conditions and factors
A pregnancy is deemed "high risk" when a condition puts mom and/or baby at risk for potential complications. These conditions can be preexisting, such as diabetes, while others can develop during pregnancy, such as high blood pressure. Our maternal-fetal medicine specialists care for women with various high-risk pregnancy conditions and risk factors, including, but not limited to, those listed below.
Conditions affecting mom:
- Anemia (low red blood cell count and poor nutrition status)
- Exposure to external risk factors, such as exceptionally high temperatures, radiation, pesticides and high altitudes
- Family history of genetic disease or a previous baby with a birth defect
- Four or more previous births
- History of blood clots
- Preexisting medical conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or epilepsy
- Previous delivery of a very large or very small baby
- Previous miscarriage
- Underweight or overweight
- Use of cigarettes, illicit drugs or excess alcohol
- Use of infertility medications or treatments (more likely to result in multiple births)
- Weak cervix
- Younger than 18 years old or older than 35
Conditions that develop during pregnancy:
- Antepartum hemorrhage
- Fetal abnormalities
- Inadequate progress in labor
- Intrauterine growth restriction
- Gestational diabetes
- Multiple gestation
- Preterm labor
- Preterm rupture of membranes
- Severe pregnancy-induced hypertension or other hypertensive complications
High-risk pregnancy at MountainStar Healthcare
A high-risk pregnancy indicates that there is a higher likelihood of a disease or condition that may put mother or baby at risk. These conditions may be existing health conditions, a multiple pregnancy or even a mother’s age.Learn about High-risk pregnancy
Retrieving location data...