Our community roots
Brigham City Community Hospital has been the primary center of medicine for Box Elder County since 1976. Throughout its ownership, HCA Healthcare has remained committed to ensuring that quality medical care is provided to the residents of northern Utah by utilizing the most up-to-date technology available.
- BCCH has maintained a state-of-the-art imaging center, including: a nuclear medicine scanner, digital mammography and an enhanced MRI that enables a more thorough diagnosis up to 25 percent faster while increasing patient comfort.
- In March 2009, a new $1 million outpatient surgery center was completed. The upgrade consists of two GI suites and 14 pre and post-operative rooms providing our same-day-surgery patients with the comfort and privacy they deserve.
- Today, Brigham City Community Hospital is part of the six-hospital MountainStar Healthcare network in Utah, all of which are owned and operated by HCA. Our community hospital is proud to provide personalized, compassionate care through our dedicated physicians, employees and volunteers available to serve 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Recently achieved Level IV Trauma Center designation by the Utah Department of Health.
- Hospitalists dedicate 100% of their professional time to caring for patients during a hospital stay.
- Intermediate care unit for patients who do not require intensive care, but are not ready for admission to our medical-surgical unit.
- Recently recognized as a stroke receiving facility by the Utah Department of Health.
- State-of-the-art imaging center featuring.
- Among a small number of rural hospitals that staff the emergency department with board-certified, specially trained and highly skilled physicians.
More Details About Our Historical Roots
Numerous hospitals were opened in Brigham City from 1906 to the early 1920s, when Dr. A.D. Cooley converted a home at 400 South and Main into a hospital. In 1935 Dr. Cooley opened the Cooley Memorial Hospital which was purchased by the Call family in 1946. This hospital was operated as the only acute care facility in Brigham City until the opening of Brigham City Community Hospital in 1976.
In 1974, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) founder Dr. Thomas F. First met with local physicians to review plans to build a new, modern medical hospital.
Groundbreaking for the 50,000 square foot facility was held the following year. Built at a cost of $4.5 million, the contemporary 49-bed Brigham City Community Hospital (BCCH) officially opened its doors to the public on July 31, 1976.
Since 1976, Brigham City Community Hospital has contributed millions of dollars in direct financial benefit to the community. This is reflected in the local, state, and federal taxes that have been paid in addition to payment of salaries and wages, capital funds reinvested, charitable contributions, uncompensated care, public service, and volunteer hours. Scholarships have also been made available to local students who pursue advanced degrees in the healthcare professions.
To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the opening of Brigham City Community Hospital in July of 2001, a complete history of the hospital, was prepared by local author Sarah Yates entitled “Stitches in Time.” In this compilation Yates described more than 150 years of people caring for one another including midwives assisting in childbirth and treating illnesses with tonics, herbs and common household solutions.