When stocking your first aid kit for summertime activities, make sure you don't forget these 8 essentials!
Summertime brings more outdoor events, vacations and physical activities. With all of the fun also comes an increased risk for various health events associated with summer activities. Be prepared with a well-stocked first aid kit. Your year-round first aid kit likely includes items like sanitizing wipes, latex gloves, bandages, antiseptic and pain relievers. In addition to the basics, there are unique needs during the summer you should take into account when packing your kit.
Consider adding these eight essential items to your summertime first aid kit:
- Antihistamine -> for allergic reactions to stings and plants - include doses for adults and children
- Hydrocortisone cream -> to soothe itchy rashes, insect bites and poison ivy
- Sterile Tweezers -> for splinters and ticks
- Instant Ice Packs -> for pain, swelling and inflammation from injuries
- Dramamine -> for sea sickness
- Ear Drops -> for swimmer's ear infections
- Aloe Vera -> to soothe sunburns
- Index Card -> with your physician's phone numbers and other emergency contact information for quick reference
Make sure your first aid kit is easily accessible to you during your summer activities, but safely kept away from small children. Also, keep the kit out of direct sunlight to avoid overheating the medications and creams inside. As always, review the medications frequently to check for expired medications. If there is ever a question about a medical event, contact your physician.
Enjoy your summer activities with the peace of mind that you are prepared for these typical summer health events with your first aid essentials and if an Emergency arises, remember St. Mark's Hospital ER is never far away!